Pages

Friday 8 September 2017

Sam Smith is Back!

So, this weekend, we see the long awaited return of Sam Smith. Apart from the soundtrack to the James Bond film Spectre, Writing on the Wall, we haven't really heard from Sam since he did the 2015 Comic Relief single, Lay Me Down. Well...guess what? He's back with a brand new single, which is called Too Good at Goodbyes.



The good news is, if you like Sam Smith's original sound, then this song is perfect. It is another beautiful ballad, telling the story of a protagonist who is in love with someone, who keeps letting the protagonist down, with lyrics, such as "I'm never gonna let you close to me/Even though you mean the most to me/'Cause every time I open up, it hurts." However, it soon becomes clear in the song that the more times the protagonist is let down, the less they have feelings for their loved one. In fact I'm sure many people have been through that situation before, right?



In my opinion, I feel that this new song is a slight let down. Ok, I admit that I liked Sam Smith's songs before his break from music but I had hoped he may have changed his style of music. However, despite this view, maintaining the same musical style works for Sam, as soft, gentle ballads suit his voice. Can you imagine if he had decided to release some upbeat songs? As much as it would make it more interesting, it just wouldn't seem right would it?

So, what's next for Sam Smith? Well, Radio 1 have announced that he will be doing a Live Lounge special, as part of Live Lounge month, on Friday 29th September so if you're in the UK and you are a Sam Smith fan, I would listen out for this. Also, he has teased details of his new album, revealing to Zane Low it will be released "just before Christmas." Also, I would not be surprised if he makes a few festival appearances next year.

Welcome Back Sam Smith!

Em x

No comments:

Post a Comment

Radio 1's Big Weekend 2022

Hello! so, big news everyone...I went to my first proper big festival and what better festival to go to than one which is hosted by Radio 1:...