Pages

Monday 28 August 2017

Taylor Swift is Back!

Taylor Swift is one of the most followed people on social media so it was inevitable that she was going to cause quite a stir when she deleted all her social media posts. Of course, the big question was, "Is Taylor about to suddenly release a new album?"

A day later, and a further couple of days, Taylor posted mysterious videos of a snake. Many thought that the number 25 was seen on the snake and, to some extent they were right for that to mean something. On the 23rd August, Taylor finally revealed that her new album, Reputation was going to be released and on the 25th August, she revealed her new song, Look What You Made Me Do.

Of course, the album title is an immediate eye-catcher. What is Taylor trying to tell us? Is she alluding to the awkward reputation she has developed for herself, thanks to her now infamous feuds with Kanye West, Kim Kardashian and Katy Perry? Also, the title of the lead single of her new album is almost letting Taylor tell these people "You've hurt me so I'm going to respond to this through my music."

Then of course, there is the album artwork. It features a black and white image of Ms Swift, including writing, in the style of a newspaper, again possibly focusing on all the attention she got from the press.


However, the biggest clue that Taylor Swift has given that her new music is going to be about all the negative things relating to her is her new video for Look What You Made Me Do. It includes multiple versions of Taylor dressed in outfits from her videos, such as You Belong with Me and Shake It off, mocking each other, including one of them crying, and her, dressed in that MTV VMAs incident dress saying "I would very much like to be excluded from this narrative, relating to the latest Taylor Swift vs Kanye West saga,  references to her ill fated romance with Tom Hiddleston and her dressed in an outfit strangely like Katy Perry.


So...what do I think of the new song? Well, of course we do have to take into consideration the fact music artists do like to change their sound sometimes. However, after the success of songs such as Shake it Off, Bad Blood and Blank Space, and thinking about how good they were, I was disappointed. Considering that she had taken almost a year off (apart from releasing I Don't Wanna Live Forever with Zayn), I feel she could have made more of an effort. Having said that, the lyrics are really clever, with my particular favourites being "another day, another drama, drama/ but not for me, not for me, all I think about is karma," and "I trust nobody, nobody trusts me." So yes the song isn't that great but I can't wait to see what lyrics her other songs are going to contain. Regarding Taylor Swift's full on comeback...Bring it on!

Em x

No comments:

Post a Comment

Radio 1's Big Weekend 2022

Hello! so, big news everyone...I went to my first proper big festival and what better festival to go to than one which is hosted by Radio 1:...